Waltham Fields Community Farm is looking for a Youth Crew Leader for our teen Learning Garden summer program. Waltham Fields Community Farm (WFCF) promotes local agriculture through growing and distribution practices that are socially, ecologically, and economically sustainable. We forge relationships between people, their food supply, and the land from which it grows. We are a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization. WFCF is committed to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age or religion.
Our youth Learning Garden programs include spring and fall after-school, as well as summer sessions for children in grades 1st-3rd (Garden Explorers) and 4-8th(Farmer for a Week), educational Farm Visits for school and community groups; Family Programs for children ages 2-4 and their caregivers, and a Youth Crew program employing teens in farm work. The Youth Crew leader works with the Learning Garden Seasonal Educators to develop lessons, teach participants about farming and food through garden exploration, engage participants in hands-on activities and recipe preparation. The Crew Leader position is supervised by the Education Director and works with both the ED and their fellow educators to carry out our education programs and maintain our Learning Garden spaces. Responsibilities:
● Work with EPCOM and fellow educators to prepare for programs
● Lead 5-10 teens in farming projects, construction and general farm education
● Maintain the Outdoor Classroom and indoor supply areas (i.e. cleaning the kitchen area thoroughly before and after each program, keeping supplies organized, etc.)
● Assist with program documentation and evaluation through photos, journals, reports and distribution/collection of end-of-program evaluation forms.
● Attend trainings and weekly education staff meetings to plan, debrief and assess programs
● Assist with field trips throughout the season as necessary
● Experience and enthusiasm for working with teens
● Knowledge of sustainable farming/gardening as well as hands-on gardening and cooking experience
● Previous experience working in the field of environmental education and/or outdoor learning environment preferred
● Friendly, creative, and self-motivated
● Current CPR/First Aid certification required (can be obtained on the job)
Time Commitment: Youth Crew Leader positions are a part-time temporary seasonal. The position extends from July-August, Monday-Friday, 8am-12:30pm Compensation: $13/hr and fresh produce from the farm
To apply send your cover letter and resume to Alexandra Lennon-Simon, Education Director. firstname.lastname@example.org