Waltham Fields Community Farm promotes local agriculture and food access through our farming operations and education programs, using practices that are socially, ecologically, and economically sustainable. We encourage healthy relationships between people, their food supply, and the land from which it grows.
Waltham Fields Community Farm (incorporated as Community Farms Outreach, Inc.) is a nonprofit farming organization focusing on food access and education. We produce organically-grown vegetables on 15 acres of leased land in Waltham and Weston, with 20% of our harvests dedicated to low-income households. Our largest source of revenue generation and community engagement is a 500-share community supported agriculture (CSA) program. We also run a Learning Garden and educational programs for children and youth, train farmers, and welcome volunteers, who provide over 3,000 hours of assistance each year. Our annual budget is approximately $725,000, which is funded by CSA shares, educational program tuition, grants from public agencies and private foundations, and donations. We have 7 year-round staff members and 12+ seasonal staff. Since our founding in 1995, we have grown from a small volunteer-run effort into a mature organization serving a variety of critical community needs, including mentorship and resource-sharing for new farms and farmers in the region.
Distribution Barn Description: The Distribution and Outreach Assistant will be responsible for helping with all aspects of running the Distribution Barn and Mobile Outreach Market. The Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program at WFCF provides 20 weeks of farm fresh vegetables and Pick-Your-Own crops from early-June through mid-October to about 480 shareholders. Shareholders pick up biweekly or once a week, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday, from a market-style layout of produce in our distribution barn, where we also sell a variety of goods for sale from local producers.
Mobile Outreach Market Description: The Mobile Outreach Market (MOM) is WFCF’s market for low-income households. The Market is located in downtown Waltham running July through October in late afternoons on Tuesdays. At the Market, customers can take a predetermined amount of our organically-grown vegetables for just $5 per share, or in exchange for a voucher from our social service partners. We also accept SNAP at the Outreach Market.
- Creating a warm, friendly and fun environment for participants, providing stellar customer service, recipe ideas or recommendations
- Using a tablet, cash register, and our point-of-sale system
- Helping re-stock vegetables and products as necessary, with an emphasis on presentation
- Putting away vegetable bins and crates as necessary during distribution hours
- Following protocol regarding opening and closing procedures, including money management and cashing out daily transactions
- Maintaining an organized and clean environment
- Assisting with loading up vegetables at the farm, transporting and displaying vegetables at the Mobile Outreach Market
- Interacting with customers in English and Spanish, providing them with a positive shopping experience and engaging them in conversations promoting fresh produce consumption and involvement with the Farm
- Conveying a strong, informed understanding of the farm, our products, the organizations involved, farm practices, CSA procedures and other relevant information
- Working closely with supervisors to maintain and create systems to properly rotate and record stock, feature items for sale and create signage as needed
- Experience with or interest in organic vegetable production, farm stand sales and/or seasonal cooking
- A friendly, outgoing, welcoming personality and a neat, professional appearance
- Ability to cope with fast-paced, unpredictable work environment with periods of high volume/energy
- Ability to lift 50lbs. and to do heavy lifting repeatedly throughout each shift as needed
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole a preference, but not required
- A valid driver’s license
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Part-Time, Seasonal
- $13/hr and fresh produce from the farm
- Staff receives a 20% discount at our farm store
- Free admission to various farm events during non-working hours
- Distribution Barn: to begin the week of June 3, 2019 through the week of Oct 14, 2019, Saturdays from 8am-3pm with some additional Weds. & Thurs. (1-7:30pm) shifts to be scheduled at the start of the position
- Mobile Outreach Market: July 16, 2019 through Oct 8, 2019, Tuesdays from 2:30-7:30pm
To apply send your cover letter and resume to Lauren Trotogott by email at Lauren@communityfarms.org
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Waltham Fields Community Farm is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, pregnancy or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, marital status, disability, age, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. Waltham Fields Community Farm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. This commitment is evident in all aspects of WFCF's employment practices and policies.