Waltham Fields Community Farm promotes local agriculture and food access through our farming operations and education programs, using practices that are socially, ecologically, and economically sustainable. We encourage healthy relationships between people, their food supply, and the land from which it grows.
Waltham Fields Community Farm (incorporated as Community Farms Outreach, Inc.) is a nonprofit farming organization focusing on food access and education. We produce organically-grown vegetables on 15 acres of leased land in Waltham and Weston, with 20% of our harvests dedicated to low-income households. Our largest source of revenue generation and community engagement is a 500-share community supported agriculture (CSA) program. We also run a Learning Garden and educational programs for children and youth, train farmers, and welcome volunteers, who provide over 3,000 hours of assistance each year. Our annual budget is approximately $725,000, which is funded by CSA shares, educational program tuition, grants from public agencies and private foundations, and donations. We have 7 year-round staff members and 12+ seasonal staff. Since our founding in 1995, we have grown from a small volunteer-run effort into a mature organization serving a variety of critical community needs, including mentorship and resource-sharing for new farms and farmers in the region.
Waltham Fields Community Farm (WFCF) seeks motivated crew members for our 2018 Field Crew!
The Field Crew works to support our farming operation, helping to supply food for our 465-share CSA, community members in need, and for various public events throughout the season.
- The 4 person Field Crew works alongside farm staff in all aspects of vegetable production including greenhouse work, transplanting, harvest, cultivation, irrigation set up, and other field tasks on our three separate sites of operation (two in Waltham, one in Weston).
- Field crew members work from 8 AM to 4 PM Monday through Friday, with an unpaid one-hour break for lunch.
- We seek individuals who are hardworking, enthusiastic, able to do fast-paced physical work on a team, and who love to be outside and get dirty.
- A sense of humor is a definite plus!
- Applicants should be able to sustain focus through repetitive tasks with an upbeat and positive attitude, be prepared to do strenuous physical work in all weather conditions and have a reliable form of transportation.
- Crew members will be trained on proper techniques and approaches to all tasks.
- Previous experience is not required, but a robust work ethic and the ability to work as a team with strong communication and listening skills are important.
- An on-farm working interview is required.
- $12/hour plus some produce from the farm.
- Staff receives a 20% discount at our farm store.
- Free admission to various farm events during non-working hours.
- Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm (35 hours per week with a one-hour unpaid lunch break).
- In the case of extreme weather, there may not be work available for all or part of the day.
- The position starts on June 12, 2018, and ends on October 12, 2018.
- Must commit to the full 18 week period.
Please send a resume & brief cover letter to Anna Kelchlin, Assistant Farm Manager at email@example.com
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Waltham Fields Community Farm is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, pregnancy or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, marital status, disability, age, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. Waltham Fields Community Farm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. This commitment is evident in all aspects of WFCF's employment practices and policies.