Distribution Workshare Positions to be filled!
Waltham Fields Community Farm promotes local agriculture and food access through our farming operations and education programs, using practices that are socially, ecologically, and economically sustainable. We encourage healthy relationships between people, their food supply, and the land from which it grows.
Waltham Fields Community Farm (incorporated as Community Farms Outreach, Inc.) is a nonprofit farming organization focusing on food access and education. We produce organically-grown vegetables on 15 acres of leased land in Waltham and Weston, with 20% of our harvests dedicated to low-income households. Our largest source of revenue generation and community engagement is a 500-share community supported agriculture (CSA) program. We also run a Learning Garden and educational programs for children and youth, train farmers, and welcome volunteers, who provide over 3,000 hours of assistance each year. Our annual budget is approximately $725,000, which is funded by CSA shares, educational program tuition, grants from public agencies and private foundations, and donations. We have 7 year-round staff members and 12+ seasonal staff. Since our founding in 1995, we have grown from a small volunteer-run effort into a mature organization serving a variety of critical community needs, including mentorship and resource-sharing for new farms and farmers in the region.
Distribution Barn Description: The Distribution and Outreach Assistant will be responsible for helping with all aspects of running the Distribution Barn and Outreach Market. The Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program at WFCF provides 20 weeks of farm fresh vegetables and Pick-Your-Own crops from early-June through mid-October to about 480 shareholders. Shareholders pick up biweekly or once a week, Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday, from a market-style layout of produce in our distribution barn, where we also sell a variety of goods for sale from local producers.
Help us make our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) share program and public sales successful by trading one day of work for a vegetable share.
- Greet customers and answer questions as needed
- Check-in CSA shareholders and provide pick-up and pick-your-own information
- Ability to lift 50lbs. and to do heavy lifting repeatedly throughout each shift as much as needed
- Help re-stock vegetables and added products as necessary, with an emphasis on aesthetics and presentation
- Use cash register to check out customers purchasing additional products
- Put away vegetable bins and crates as necessary during the pickup
- Help maintain a clean and orderly barn environment
- Assist with cleanup before and after and recordkeeping at the end of every pickup
- Interacting with customers in English and Spanish, providing them with a positive shopping experience and engaging them in conversations promoting fresh produce consumption and involvement with the Farm
- Conveying a strong, informed understanding of the farm, our products, the organizations involved, farm practices, CSA procedures and other relevant information
- Working closely with supervisors to maintain and create systems to properly rotate and record stock, feature items for sale and create signage as needed
- Have experience with or interest in organic vegetable production, farm stand sales, and/or seasonal cooking
- Possess a friendly, outgoing, welcoming personality and a neat, professional appearance
- Have an ability to cope with fast-paced, unpredictable work environment with periods of high volume and energy
- Be or become a member of Waltham Fields Community Farm ($30 donation per household)
- Be available each week during the work share period (occasional absences can be covered by prior arrangement/swapping with other work shares)
- One summer vegetable share and one flower share from Waltham Fields Community Farm, to be picked up Wednesday, Thursday, or Saturday during distribution hours
TWO Work Share positions available. Shifts choices include:
- Wednesdays, 1:30 - 7 pm, June 13 - October 24
- Thursdays, 1:30 - 7 pm, June 14 - October 25
To apply email Lauren Trotogott by email at Lauren@communityfarms.org with a brief statement of why you are interested and why you think you would be a good fit for the Distribution Work Share position and which shift if any, you prefer.
We Are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Waltham Fields Community Farm is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, pregnancy or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, marital status, disability, age, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, receipt of free medical care, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. Waltham Fields Community Farm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. This commitment is evident in all aspects of WFCF's employment practices and policies.